3 active COVID-19 cases in Noida, Ghaziabad jails
Of the three prisoners, two are inmates of Dasna jail in Ghaziabad and one of Luksar jail in Gautam Buddh Nagar, a senior official said.
While one of the prisoners tested positive for the viral infection on Wednesday, the other two were found to have contracted the disease earlier this week, he said.
Vipin Mishra, the superintendent of both Dasna and Luksar prisons, told : "On Wednesday, we got COVID-19 test reports of 148 inmates from Gautam Buddh Nagar and all of them were negative. There were 76 samples from Ghaziabad and one of them was positive."
There were two more instances of the coronavirus infection from prisons of the adjoining districts in western Uttar Pradesh, but those inmates have now recovered and returned to the jails, he said.
Prison authorities have stepped up precautionary measures and introduced quarantine system for new prisoners, and started offering inmates 'kaadha' -- a traditional concoction of herbs and spices -- to boost their immunity and check the spread of the infection.
"Screening is done regularly and any inmate with symptoms like cough or fever is isolated. They are also offered 'kaadha'. New prisoners are kept in temporary jail in quarantine for 14 days unless they test COVID-19 negative," Mishra said.Gautam Buddh Nagar and Ghaziabad are two of the districts worst-hit in Uttar Pradesh by the pandemic. The two districts, adjoining Delhi, together have nearly 2,500 active cases of COVID-19 and recorded 93 deaths, according to official figures. KIS NSD
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds