Additional restrictions can't be imposed on freedom of speech of lawmakers: SC
- The SC on Tuesday held that no additional restrictions other than those prescribed under Article 19(2).
- Restrictions under Article 19(2) are exhaustive.
- The case originated from a statement made by
Azam Khan, then UP minister, about gang-rape case victims.
A five-judge constitution bench headed by Justice S.A. Nazeer and comprising Justices B.R. Gavai, A.S. Bopanna, V.
Justice Ramasubramanian, reading the majority judgment, said no additional restrictions against free speech can be imposed except those mentioned under the Article 19(2) of the Constitution.
"The grounds...in Article 19(2) for restricting the right to free speech are exhaustive... additional restrictions not found in Article 19 (2) cannot be imposed on the exercise of the right conferred by Article 19 (1) (a)", said Justice Ramasubramanian.
The top court said a minister's statement can't be vicariously attributed to the government and the minister is liable for the statement himself.
The constitution bench judgement delivered the verdict on whether restrictions can be imposed on the right to freedom of speech and expression of a public functionary.
Justice Nagarathna said hate speech strikes at the root of equality and fraternity and added that fundamental duties could be used to check disparaging speeches and promote harmony among citizens.
Justice Nagarathna said the court cannot impose any greater/ additional restrictions on the fundamental right of free speech of such public functionaries.
The case originated from a statement made by Azam
In October 2017, a three-judge bench referred the matter to the constitution bench to decide various issues, which included whether a public functionary or a minister can claim freedom of speech while expressing views on sensitive matters.
No second Covid-19 booster dose required: Govt sources
India's new Covid cases jump to 2,582 in last 24 hours
Popular on BI
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life