After 300 COVID-19 cases, fresh curbs on Surat diamond units
As part of the new curbs, three main diamond trading markets will remain shut twice a week, while canteens of all the diamond polishing units will remain closed on all days to contain the spread of coronavirus, he said.
"In the last 10 days, nearly 300 workers of diamond units in the city have tested positive for coronavirus," Surat Municipal Commissioner Banchhanidhi Pani said.
In view of this, representatives of the Surat Diamond Association held a meeting with the civic chief on Monday.
They unanimously agreed to keep the three main diamomd trading hubs in Mahidharpura, Mini Bazar and Choksi Bazar shut on Saturdays and Sundays till the situation improves, Pani told reporters after the meeting.
"If one COVID-19 case emerges in any unit, then that particular floor or section will be shut for a week. If three COVID-19 cases emerge, then the entire unit or factory will be shut for one week. The diamond units have also been asked to close their canteen facilities to minimise human-to-human contact," he said.
The diamond polishing units have also been asked to ensure proper ventilation in their premises for the staff, the official said.
To reduce congestion and contact of employees with each other, the diamond units have been asked to either call workers in shifts everyday or on alternate days, said Pani."The diamond association also gave an assurance that all diamond packets will be sanitised to contain the spread of coronavirus. Joint teams of the Surat Diamond Association and the municipal corporation will conduct inspection to make sure the new guidelines are strictly followed," he added. COR PJT PD GK GK
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May