Babri Masjid demolition case: CBI Special Court acquits all accused, judge says ‘demolition was not pre-planned’
- CBI’s Special Court in Lucknow has acquitted all 32 accused of conspiring to demolish the
- The key accused in this historic case include
LK Advani, Uma Bharti, MM Joshi and Kalyan Singh, among others.
- This is special CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav’s final verdict before his retirement today.
In his last verdict before retirement, judge Surendra Kumar Yadav said, “The demolition was not pre-planned.”
According to him, the people named in the chargesheet weren’t trying to incite the mob but to stop them. “Court found that the video was fabricated. Investigative team did not produce negatives of the picture,” said advocate KK Misra after the verdict was announced.
AdvertisementYadav also highlighted that a local intelligence report had cautioned that such an event might take place on December 6 but it went unheeded by those concerned.
Only 26 of the 32 accused were in court today. Some were excused due to age and others due to COVID-19 restrictions like Uma Bharti, who had recently tested positive for the disease. Overall 49 people were named as the accused in the FIR lodged by the CBI. However, 17 individuals died during the course of the 28-year-long trial.
What is the Babri Masjid demolition case?
The mosque was demolished on 6 December 1992 by a mob that believed that it had been built on top of Hindu deity Lord Ram’s birth place.
However, the demolition was only the first of the dominoes to fall. Religiously motivated riots followed and led to death of around 2,000 people.
Main crux of the matter, the demolition itself, was settled by the Supreme Court in 2019. It ruled in favour of erecting the Ram Janmabhoomi Temple at the location and allocating a different site for the mosque to be rebuilt.
What was still hanging in the balance were the two FIRs filed by the police in 1992. Additionally, forty-seven more FIRs were filed for attacks on journalists on the day of the demolition.
AdvertisementOf the two FIRs filed by the police, one was against lakhs of volunteers who were seen climbing the mosques with hammers and axes in hand. And the second one was against eight people — Advani, Joshi, Bharti, BJP’s Vinay Katiyar, Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s Ashok Singhal, Giriraj Kishore, Vishnu Hari Dalmia and Sadhvi Rithambhara.
Dalmia, Kishore and Singhal have since passed away.
Lakshmi Vilas Bank is down nearly 5% as concerns over Clix Capital merger deepen
Popular on BI
- Twitter, Tiger Global, Tencent and others have pumped in over $900 million into India’s vernacular social media platforms in a year
- ICC T20 World Cup 2021: India to bat first as Pakistan wins toss and elects to field
- Biden hosting budget talks in Delaware with Schumer, Manchin
- Aryan Khan case: Witness claims NCB allegedly demanded bribe from Shah Rukh Khan to release his son
- Rishi Sunak on spending spree on skills, healthcare in UK Budget