Balakot airstrike hero Abhinandan Varthaman honoured with Vir Chakra for bringing down Pakistani F-16 fighter aircraft in 2019
Varthaman was promoted from Wing Commander to the rank of Group Captain earlier this month.
He was honoured with Vir Chakra, India's third-highest war time gallantry medal, by the President in an investiture ceremony.
Varthaman was captured by the
The Balakot airstrike was carried out against the terror camps at Balakot of Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in response to the deadly Pulwama attack that claimed the lives of 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel.
It was the first aerial assault carried out by India in Pakistan after the 1971 India-Pakistan war.
On February 26, 2019 around 3.30 a.m. 12 Mirage 2000 fighter jets crossed the Line of Control (
The Balakot airstrike demonstrated India's prowess to retaliate to Pakistan's sinister intentions.
Codenamed as 'Operation Bandar', the airstrike was conducted by the seventh and ninth squadrons of the
After the strike, over two dozen fighter planes, including F-16s left Pakistani bases aiming to hit the Indian military installations. But the Indian Air force in anticipation of such an attack was ready and aerial dogfight ensued. It ended with Wing Commander Varthaman, shooting down an F-16 fighter plane of Pakistan and getting hit in the process.
AdvertisementVarthaman exited safely but was captured. Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan had announced the capture and India demanded his unconditional and safe return.
Back then, the US played a role in the release of the officer, who safely returned to India.
Oppo reportedly plans to launch electric vehicles in India by 2024
If you are travelling from India to Singapore, here’s how to apply for your Vaccinated Travel Pass
Popular on BI
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- Mark Zuckerberg reportedly said he doesn't like seeing 'managers managing managers,' fueling speculation of more layoffs
- The future of banking is entirely digital
- Study find out the potential cause of dementia
- Odisha Health Minister shot at by police officer
- Rajinikanth issues public notice on infringement of rights, warns legal action
- Govt likely to float global tender for HPV vaccine in April; Merck, Serum Institute may participate
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal