Coronavirus cases in Maharashtra climbs to 33, making it the epicenter in India
Maharashtragovernment ordered the cancellation of all public functions, gatherings, mass religious events, imposed CrPC section 144, for tour operators .
- The government directed all travel and tour operators across the state to provide a list of the tourists who have travelled abroad in the past few weeks, especially after February 15.
- The state has 32 cases, which is the highest number of cases followed by Kerala with 25 cases.
The Mumbai police imposed CrPC section 144, for tour operators who organise guided excursions in the city.
Presently, there are 16 cases in Pune, five in Mumbai, four in Nagpur, two in Yavatmal, and one each in Thane, Raigad, Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Kalyan, and Navi Mumbai.
The state government has been taking measures to contain the virus, like cancelling public events and providing quarantine facilities.
The state has the highest number of cases followed by Kerala, which stands at 25.
Maharashtra government cancels all public events
The Maharashtra government, on March 12, ordered the cancellation of all public functions, gatherings, mass religious events and other programmes as a precautionary measure.
Thackeray carried out a video-conference review meeting with the state Divisional Commissioner on the situation in their respective jurisdictions after which several directions were issued. All state or public functions will be cancelled to avoid overcrowding and to arrest the further spread of the disease which has assumed deadly proportions globally.
AdvertisementTravel and tour operators asked to provide a list of the tourists
The government directed all travel and tour operators across the state to provide a list of the tourists who have travelled abroad in the past few weeks, especially after February 15.
"The source of coronavirus in the state is not local. It came from the tourists who got infected during their foreign trips," said Thackeray.
Government advices for 'self-quarantine'
Thackeray reiterated his suggestion to all people who have come from abroad to go into 'self-quarantine' at their respective homes for two weeks to avoid any public contact.
In accordance with the centre's directives, the state ordered compulsory 'home quarantine' for all people, who arrived after February 15 from the seven worst-hit countries that include China, Iran, Italy, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany.
AdvertisementGovernment issues orders to create quarantine facilities
The government has ruled out any immediate requirements to screen or check all citizens for coronavirus. However, those who test positive and don't exhibit symptoms must be sent into isolation, preferably at a location away from the treatment centres or hospitals, said principal secretary of health
Thackeray also directed civic bodies in Maharashtra to create quarantine facilities like the health departments like in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur.
(with inputs from IANS)
Popular on BI
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts