COVID-19: Christians attend Easter Sunday masses online
All churches in the city have been closed to preventlarge gatherings and spread of the virus.
Religious gatherings and processions too have beenbanned by the government.
During his address to the faithful, Archbishop ThomasD'Souza of the Archdiocese of Kolkata called upon all thefaithful to be on the side of the poor.
He addressed people from the Archbishop's houseonline.
"Serving the poor gives joy of peace," he said.
Holy masses will be held on April 19 and 26 and thefaithful will be able to attend the services through live-streaming, he said.
The Easter Sunday mass was viewed by 2 lakh people ona social media channel.
Bishop Paritosh Canning of the Diocese of Kolkata,(Church of North India), also conducted the Easter Sunday massservice from the Bishop's House and the members of thecommunity attended the service through live-streaming.
Bishop Canning called upon the Lord to give strengthto serve people and to be on the side of the poor in everysituation.
The service was viewed by 1.2 lakh people.
"I missed the Sunday Easter crowd in the church today.But this has been a new experience to watch and join theproceedings from our homes," Ankita Gomes, a young banker fromEntally area said."As the church priest chanted Amen, we all repeatedthe word and I felt as if we were all inside a prayer hall,just like the bygone days," Gomes said.
The Holy Week started on April 5 and ended on April12.
Easter marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ aftercrucifixion.
It is one of the holiest festivals of Christianitythat also witnesses a lot of social activity besides prayersand elaborate church services.The coronavirus pandemic, however, has forced thebelievers to make the festival a private affair. SUSSBN SBN
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- How OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI
- A leading supplement researcher says she doesn't take any — because she's getting what she needs from her vegan diet
- Mattel rolled out a Barbie to honor a late Cherokee Nation chief with a language error on the box that says 'chicken' instead of 'Cherokee'
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- Air India rejigs 250-aircraft Airbus order
- Retail trumps corporate lending as small-ticket loans see fourfold jump in past two years
- Exploring the nutritional marvel of Gond laddu: A winter delight
- Budget offering: Redmi 13C and Redmi 13C 5G hit Indian market sub ₹10,000