Here's what the government's new norms to curb fake online reviews & ratings include
- Tour and travel, restaurant and eateries, and consumer durables are prominent sectors where online reviews and
ratingsplay significant roles.
- The Department of Consumer Affairs constituted a committee on checking fake and deceptive reviews on 10th June 2022.
- New norms will make e-commerce websites more authentic and less misleading for users, says the government.
AdvertisementOn Monday, the
The Department of Consumer Affairs stated that it will initially introduce the standards for voluntary compliance by all e-commerce platforms, before being made mandatory.
The new standards were announced after the Department of Consumer Affairs constituted a committee on checking fake and deceptive reviews on 10th June 2022. The new norms will come into force from November 25.
“If they are not doing it and if they are indulging into a practice, which can then be termed as an unfair trading practice, then under the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act that deals with unfair trading practice or a consumer court can take penal action,” said Rohit Kumar Singh, secretary - Consumer Affairs, in a press conference held in New Delhi. Further, he also added that the department wants all e-commerce companies to adopt this framework as early as possible.
The new norms include different steps of verification of a review, starting with the review collection process through invitation. Further, it includes the steps for verification of the review author through a moderation process that includes automated and manual moderation. If a review does not meet the specified terms and conditions, it will be deemed fraudulent and rejected.
Here are the detailed steps of the review process:
Verification of review author
Verifying the email address | Confirming their registration by clicking on a link | Verification by telephone call or SMS | Verification of identification by Single Sign-On | Verification of identification by geolocation or IP address | Verification by using a single user per email address | Verification using the captcha system
Automated moderation: Language to be reviewed | Submission as per terms and conditions | No bias
Language to be reviewed | Submission as per terms and conditions | No bias
Rejection of a consumer review
Fraudulent | Does not meet the terms and conditions
OnePlus Nord Watch review: A decent watch with a hint of premiumness under a budget
This bio-engineered houseplant claims to clean the air as efficiently as 30 air purifiers
Popular on BI
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Netflix announces series on 1999 Kandahar hijack, Anubhav Sinha to direct show
- Great to reunite with Sanjay Leela Bhansali after 25 years: Manisha Koirala
- Farhan Akhtar, Shibani Dandekar team up for Netflix series 'Dabba Cartel'
- 10 Fruits that help increase stamina
- DGCA fines Air India ₹30 lakh after elderly passenger's death at Mumbai airport