India allows domestic flights to operate at full capacity from Monday
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has allowed all
domestic flightsto operate at full capacity from October 18.
- Former aviation secretary previously said that the ministry is looking to remove all caps on domestic flights ahead of the festive season.
- Domestic flights were allowed to operate at 85% capacity until now.
AdvertisementThe Ministry of Civil Aviation has allowed all domestic flights to operate at full capacity from Monday, October 18, onwards.
The development was reported by news agency ANI.
This comes a few days after the former aviation secretary Pradeep Kharola, who retired on September 30, said that the ministry is looking to remove caps on airfare and capacity on domestic flights ahead of the festive season.
The ministry introduced a cap on the capacity of domestic flights last year in May amid the rising Covid-19 cases. Such a cap allowed the flights to follow social distancing and minimise the exposure to coronavirus.
On May 25 of 2020, the flights were allowed to resume after a two-month-long halt at one-third capacity, which has been increasing gradually. The Ministry of Civil Aviation, in September, had increased the capacity to 85% of flights.
Alongside this, the ministry had also imposed a lower and upper cap of airfare based on the flight duration, which ensured that air tickets were not out of budget for the passengers.
The Indian aviation industry has been pushing the Indian government as well as the Ministry of Civil Aviation to do away with these limits for several months now. The industry believes that such caps hamper competitiveness and only benefit low-cost carriers.
It's not just Zostel, OYO has 20 other lawsuits to fight
The former boss of India's largest bank joins a soon-to-be small finance bank — here's why
Samsung plans to launch 2nm chipsets by 2025, could power its 2026 flagships
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore