India is celebrating Constitution Day but there’s a long way to go before the vision of its architect Bhimrao Ambedkar can be realised
- India is observing
Constitution Dayon November 26 to commemorate the adoption of the constitution of India— which came into effect on January 26, 1950.
- Four years ago, Prime Minister Narendra Modi marked the birth anniversary of Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar as the Constitution Day of India.
- Political democracy cannot last unless there lies at the base of it social democracy, Ambedkar had famously warned.
Four years back, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation of the Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai on November 19, 2015 — marking November 26, which is the birth anniversary of the chief architect of the Indian constitution, Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar — as the Constitution Day of India.
Ambedkar fought relentlessly to restore the dignity and rights of India’s oppressed classes. Ambedkar said that "political democracy cannot last unless there lies at the base of it social democracy. What does social democracy mean? It means a way of life which recognizes liberty, equality and fraternity as the principles of life."
Political maneuvers override the voters’ mandate
Women still stopped from entering temples and mosques
Untouchability still exists, says the Supreme Court
Popular on BI
- Wipro, InterGlobe Aviation and other top stocks to watch out for on September 20
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next Chief Minister of Punjab
- iQOO to launch its new smartphone AiQOO Z5 in India soon at ₹30,000
- India may soon reopen its doors for foreign tourists as COVID-19 cases decline in the country
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry