India is celebrating Constitution Day but there’s a long way to go before the vision of its architect Bhimrao Ambedkar can be realised
- India is observing
Constitution Dayon November 26 to commemorate the adoption of the constitution of India— which came into effect on January 26, 1950.
- Four years ago, Prime Minister Narendra Modi marked the birth anniversary of Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar as the Constitution Day of India.
- Political democracy cannot last unless there lies at the base of it social democracy, Ambedkar had famously warned.
Four years back, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation of the Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai on November 19, 2015 — marking November 26, which is the birth anniversary of the chief architect of the Indian constitution, Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar — as the Constitution Day of India.
Ambedkar fought relentlessly to restore the dignity and rights of India’s oppressed classes. Ambedkar said that "political democracy cannot last unless there lies at the base of it social democracy. What does social democracy mean? It means a way of life which recognizes liberty, equality and fraternity as the principles of life."
Political maneuvers override the voters’ mandate
Women still stopped from entering temples and mosques
Untouchability still exists, says the Supreme Court
Popular on BI
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Why the melting of the Arctic ice matters to India
- The economics behind Reliance Jio’s operations
- Akshay Kumar-led 'Cuttputlli' sets September 2 premiere on Disney+ Hotstar
- Best anti-dandruff shampoos to buy in India
- India’s first electric double-decker bus launched in Mumbai; to foster sustainability in Transport Sector