India’s $22.6 billion Coronavirus financial action plan pales in comparison to the rest of world
- The world has pledged over $5 billion to fight the debilitating effect of the Coronavirus pandemic around the World.
- Today, India announced a ₹1.7 lakh crore ($22.5 billion) relief fund to helppoor Indian homes with food grain and provide insurance cover to medical workers, and more.
- However, India’s plan pales in comparison to the rest the world where country’s have spent over $5 trillion, with US having approved a $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill earlier today.
- Follow the comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus pandemic and its impact, and other useful resources that can help you in the fight on Business Insider India.
“We’ve come up with a package which will immediately take care of the welfare concerns of the poor and the suffering workers, and those who need immediate help,” said Finance Minister
Around the world, countries collectively pledged $5 trillion to fight the Coronavirus pandemic.
India’s financial crisis
Earlier today, the US senate approved a plan to provide a $2 trillion stimulus, which includes giving individuals in the lower and middle income groups a $1,200 cheque each. This is the third stimulus package announced by the US government.
While the US has more resources than India, it also has a fraction of its population. It means India has little to distribute amongst its 1.3 billion people. The Coronavirus rescue plan provides extra food grain for three months per household. It also give a ₹50 lakh insurance cover to medical workers
Sitharaman also announced relief for MNREGA workers, poor widows, poor pensioners, women with Jan Dhan accounts, organised workers, and construction workers — who are bearing the brunt of the Coronavirus crisis.
Here’s how other countries around the world are allocation their financial aid:
Popular on BI
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days