Lockdown: Delhi airport creates dedicated distribution facility for medical supplies
The GMR group-led DIAL said the Ministry of Civil Aviation has designated the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) as a major hub for import and distribution of medical supplies related to COVID-19.
India has been under lockdown since March 25 to curb the spread of coronavirus, which has infected more than 21,300 people and killed 680 people till now. All commercial passenger flights have been suspended for the lockdown period."A 3,800 square meter unique dedicated distribution facility has been made operational at the Delhi airport by the DIAL within a record time of seven days," it mentioned in a press release.
At this facility, the first shipment consisting of 24 metric tonnes cargo arrived on Tuesday having 70,000 protective suits, it said."The same is getting processed and aggregated at this distribution facility aftersanitisation of each box. Further, the same will be distributed to various parts of the country," the DIAL stated.
Several such consignments are scheduled to flow in and get processed through the Delhi airport in the coming days comprising bodysuits, masks, hand gloves and goggles, the operator mentioned.The Delhi airport has been handling around 20-22 cargo flights per day (including non-scheduled operations), with freighters operating between various destinations like Doha, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Incheon, the DIAL stated.Videh Kumar Jaipuriar, CEO, DIAL, said, "We are honoured to be designated as the major hub for import and distribution of medical essentials at this time of crisis by the Ministry of Civil Aviation." DSP KJKJKJ
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Farmers threaten to block highways after Haryana issues order to seal borders with Punjab for two days
- Telangana ready to administer Covid vaccine: KCR to PM
- Indian government has banned 220 Chinese apps so far – including PUBG Mobile, AliExpress, TikTok, ShareIt, and more
- upGrad acquires coaching institute The Gate Academy — says more acquisitions are on the cards
- Markets hit record high — some experts say it is the final leg of the vaccine euphoria