Mumbai local trains— who can travel, timings, and all you need to know
- These special suburban services are not for general passengers/public and will be strictly for those engaged in essential services only.
- These trains will be operated between 5:30 am to 11:30 pm, and only certain booking windows will be opened for the same.
- Only passengers who are medically fit and do not come from a containment zone will be allowed to board the trains.
The government has identified approximately 1.25 lakh employees who are indulged in essential services of state government and are only designated to commute by these special services. However, in normal times, over 85 lakhs passengers commute daily on the suburban networks spanning Mumbai, Thane, Palghar and Raigad.
AdvertisementThe WR will run 60 pairs of its 12 car suburban services — total 120 — to and fro from Churchgate to Dahanu Road. The CR will run 100 services on either side of its main line — between Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus to Thane, Kalyan, Karjat and Kasara and 70 services on either side of Harbour line — Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus and Panvel.
These trains will operate between 5:30 am to 11:30 pm, and only certain booking windows will be opened for the same.
No food and other stalls will be opened at the railway stations, and Railway Protection Force (RPF) will be deployed to monitor adherence of social distancing norms.
To begin with, the railways allowed passengers entry through employee ID cards, however, in the coming days the state employees will be issued QR based E-passes which will also have bar colour coding to enable swifter ticket checking with coordination by the state government.
Only passengers who are medically fit and do not come from a containment zone will be allowed to board the trains, and the state government will ensure multiple rounds of checking to ensure the requirements are being met.
Unlike its seating capacity to accommodate about 1,200 persons, only about 700 commuters shall be allowed per train to allow adequate social distancing in the coaches.
AdvertisementThe Railways have also advised the state government to stagger the timings of its offices for workers coming from different areas to ensure there is no crowding at the stations and inside the trains.
SEE ALSO: 1 in every 10 new patients tested in India is COVID-19 positive — and that just means community transmission is underway but not everywhere
“You cannot play games", India's top court tells the country's car dealers
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Google to open its new office in Pune this year, will hire cloud technology experts
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- Bitcoin mining profit is shrinking with prices in dumps and difficulty on the rise
- Here’s why Axis Bank’s quarterly profit tripled in the last three months
- Axis Bank, Maruti Suzuki, Hero MotoCorp, SBI Card and other hot stocks on January 25
- India pays USD 29.9 million in UN regular budget assessments for 2022
- Budget Session Part I: Rajya Sabha to sit in morning, Lok Sabha in evening due to Covid restrictions