Prime Minister Modi declares 21-day nationwide lockdown starting midnight
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced a 3 week nationwide lockdown starting midnight today.
- The government arranged a fund of ₹15,000 crore to procure essential medical items to fight Coronavirus.
- Insisting Covid-19 can spread like fire, Modi also said that this lockdown is like a Lakshman Rekha outside the homes.
- Follow the comprehensive coverage on Coronavirus pandemic and its impact and other useful information that can help you in the fight on Business Insider India.
“If we do not adhere to the 21 day lockdown, the next 21 years will be affected. And many families will be destroyed,” Modi said insisting that even he himself practices social distancing.
The government has arranged a fund of ₹15,000 crore to procure essential medical items like ventilators, quarantine facilities, personal protective equipment, isolation beds, ICU beds, ventilators and other essential requirements.
Lockdown is like a Lakshman Rekha
Insisting Covid-19 can spread like fire, Modi also said that this lockdown is like a Lakshman Rekha outside the homes. “If everyone is so casual about social distancing India will have to pay a heavy price. And it is impossible to know how deep the price will be,” he said.
“WHO says that a single person can spread this pandemic to hundreds of people and can spread as fast as fire,” Modi said today.
Earlier today, Finance Nirmala Sitharaman announced statutory and compliance changes — where many deadlines including income tax returns and GST filings have been postponed to June 30.
Here are the highlights from Modi’s speech:
- “From 12 am today, the entire country will be under a total lockdown for 3 weeks.”
- “I thank and praise everyone for making Janata curfew a success.”
- “Coronavirus is spreading so fast that the count of infections in many countries is rising.”
- “Social distancing and staying indoors is the only way to beat this pandemic. There is no other way to escape this.”
- “We have to break the cycle of infection to stop Coronavirus.”
- “A few people wrongly assume that social distancing is only for infected people. That is not right. It is for everyone. Even the Prime Minister.”
- “If everyone is so casual about social distancing India will have to pay a heavy price. And it is impossible to know how deep the price will be.”
- “Since the last two days, there has been a lockdown in several parts. State governments should take this very seriously.”
- “From 12 am tonight, the country will go for a complete lockdown for three weeks.”
- “It’s like a curfew on everyone. It's stricter than the Janta curfew and is a decisive fight against Coronavirus.”
- “The country has to bear the economic cost of the lockdown and is the highest priority for everyone.”
- “My request to you is to stay wherever you are right now in the country. The lockdown will last 21 days.”
- “No doubt, this lockdown will entail an economic cost for the country.”
- “If we do not adhere to the 21-day lockdown, the next 21 years will be affected. And many families will be destroyed.”
- “Forget what it feels like to go outside for the next 21 days. This is a ‘Laxman Rekha’ on your door. Only one step outside the house will invite a grave pandemic like Coronavirus into your homes.”
- “WHO says that a single person can spread this pandemic to hundreds of people and can spread as fast as fire.”
- “Other countries like Germany weren’t able to contain the Coronavirus spread despite the best healthcare systems in the world due to failure in social distancing.”
- “The ray of hope comes from those countries which have been able to control Coronavirus to an extent. For weeks on end, the residents of these countries did not leave their homes.”
- “This time is to be careful at every step of the way.”
- “India is at such a stage, our actions today will determine our ability to reduce the impact of this disaster.”
- “It’s time to strengthen our resolve again and again. It’s time to show patience at every step.”
- “As long as there is a lockdown in the country, we have to stand by our resolve and promise.” .
- “I fold my hands and request that you stay at home and pray for the people who are putting their lives at risk in the line of duty like medical workers, doctors and ambulance drivers.”
- “You must also think about the media persons who are working around the clock braving the dangers of the pandemic.”
- “These testing times will affect the poor. State and national authorities are taking steps to ensure that they are not affected as much.”
- “We are taking all steps to ensure continuous supply of essential goods and necessities — and will continue to do so.”
- “We are making efforts to not only give priority to what is required for daily life but also what is required to protect life.”
- “The government has taken decisions on the advice and suggestions of the World Health Organisation (WHO), medical institutes, scientific organizations and health experts.”
- “We have allocated 15,000 crore for strengthening the nation’s health infrastructure for the treatment of Coronavirus patients. The funds will be used to finance Coronavirus quarantine facilities, personal protective equipment, isolation beds, ICU beds, ventilators and other essential requirements.”
- “Medical and paramedical manpower will also be trained.”
- “State governments have been told to prioritise health services above all else.”
- “Private sector is also actively participating and engaging with the citizens of India to address the pandemic.”
- “Please do not take any medicines without a prescription from doctors. Any such carelessness, can put your life at risk.”
- “Don’t believe rumours and fake news that is being circulated. For correct information go to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.”
The big announcements from India's Finance Minister Nirmala SitharamanRaghuram Rajan says save people before saving the economy