Poland's Glenmaster maker will buy barley from a cold desert in India to make whisky
- Himachal Pradesh’s
Lahaul Spitiwill be the new hotspot for producing exotic barleyused in whisky production.
- Last week, Himachal Pradesh government signed a pact with the Polish spirits producer which will invest ₹110 crore for its organic Himalayan single malt whisky.
- The Himachal Pradesh government is trying to revive the agriculture in the area.
“Once known for producing a bitter taste hops, contract farming of barley in the remote Lahaul Valley, which has a cultivation season for less than five months from May owing to heavy snowfall and extreme cold climatic conditions, will usher economic prosperity,” said Agriculture Minister and local legislator Ram Lal Markanda.
India one of the largest producer and consumer of whisky in the world. It consumes 48% of the world’s whisky.
Himachal Pradesh’s Lahaul Spiti will be the new hotspot for producing exotic barley used in whisky production.
The Lahaul Valley comprises of over two dozen small, scattered villages. They are cut off from the rest of the world for over four months from December onwards owing to the heavy snow accumulation in the Rohtang Pass (13,050 feet) -- the only road link with Manali in Kullu district.
The Himachal Pradesh government is trying to revive the agriculture in the area.
Lahaul Spiti has seen a sharp decline in the production of bitter hops, a key ingredient in brewing beer.
The company will pay ₹50,000 to for an acre’s produce -- which is 25 % more than the market price.
Initially, 200 farmers of the Lahaul-Spiti, Kinnaur and Chamba district will start cultivation.
“The geographic and climatic conditions of Himachal Pradesh is on a par with Scotland's and many other European regions which will lead to deriving a unique and special terroir,” according to Zouk Vodka, a polish vodka brand.
Popular on BI
- Explained: TCS on your child's overseas education and mitigating strategies
- From Pixel 8 to Galaxy S23 FE – smartphones launching in October 2023
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine