Prime Minister Narendra Modi extends Coronavirus lockdown until May 3
prime ministerdelivered his fourth address to the nation after the Coronavirus pandemic hit the country today.
- The lockdown which was announced on March 24, and was scheduled to end today has been extended.
- Some areas may be opened up in a limited way from April 20, if the risk of coronavirus seems unlikely.
- Modi also said that India has been better than many other developed countries in containing the spread of coronavirus.
- As many as 8 states have already announced lockdowns and are known to have asked the prime minister to extend it.
- The total number of COVID-19 pandemic cases has hit 10,363.
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi today extended the nationwide Coronavirus lockdown to May 3, saying that it is necessary to contain the virus. The decision has been announced at a time when different parts of the country from Tamil Nadu (Puthandu) to West Bengal (Poila Boisakh), from Kerala (Vishu) to Assam (Bihu), are celebrating the start of their respective new years and harvest festivals.
Modi also said India will also keep a keen eye on hotspots, possible hotspots and prevent the spread of creation of new hotspots. For the next one week, India will enforce stricter measures to contain the virus.
WATCH: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s full address on April 14
Some areas may be opened up in a limited way from April 20, if the risk of coronavirus seems unlikely. But the moment there is a case, even if it is just one, strict measures will be imposed again. Detailed guidelines will be released by the government tomorrow (April 15).
These are the highlights of
- India is fighting aggressively against the Corona pandemic. Thanks to all the sacrifices by the people, India is able to control the damage of Corona.
- All of you have helped save the country.
- I know that many of you are facing troubles. A few have no food and there are transportation issues. And many are staying away from family and loved ones.
- But, for the sake of the nation, you are behaving like a disciplined soldier. I bow to you.
- The strength of “we the people of India” is exactly what this is. On the occasion of Ambedkar’s birthday, the display of our strength and determination is a true tribute to his legacy.
- In different parts of the country, it is festival time right now. Pohila boisakh, Puthandu, Vishu, Pohang Veghu — many regions are celebrating the new years amid the lockdown and obeying the lockdown rules.
- During this new year, I pray for the well being of all your families.
- For the next one week, India will enforce stricter measures to contain the virus.
- Any new hotspots will increase the challenges in our fight against Coronavirus. For the next one month, we need to be more stringent in our resolve.
- Until April 20, every locality, ward, district, and state will be observed in detail — how they are adhering to the lockdown, measures that they are taking to protect themselves will be analysed.
- The states which are successful, which do not let new hotspots emerge and reduce the incidence from existing hotspots — some states may see relaxation during the lockdown. This will be conditional.
- If anything changes, or if Coronavirus gets more severe, all relaxations will be reversed.
- Tomorrow, the government will be issuing new guidelines on the same.
- From April 20, whichever states will see relaxation will be done taking into consideration the trails faced by daily wage workers, migrants workers and poor households. The aim is to reduce the trails faced by them.
- Keep an eye on senior citizens who are suffering from other health issues. We have to keep them safe from Coronavirus.
- Follow the lockdown and social distancing guidelines and use homemade masks.
- We have 220 testing labs, 100,000 hospital beds and 600 hospitals to help cater to those infected by the virus.
The total number of COVID-19 pandemic cases has hit 10,363.
Popular on BI
- DGCA slaps ₹10L fine on Go Air for leaving behind 55 passengers at B'luru airport
- Vedanta Q3 net profit drops 41% on higher input costs
- ED attaches 32 properties worth ₹70 crore in fraudulent TDS refund case
- RRR surpasses Cruise’s Top Gun 2 & Spielberg’s The Fabelmans in the top 10 movies of 2022
- Weekend OTTs: Ayushmann Khurrana’s ‘An Action Hero’ to ghost hunts with ‘Lockwood and Co’