Swarms of locusts blanket India’s national capital region — pilots and airlines alerted ahead
- On June 27, swarms of locusts were seen in several parts of Gurugram and on the Gurugram-Dwarka expressway near the
Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi. The Delhi Air Traffic Control(ATC) also directed pilots and airlines to take the necessary landing and take-off precautions.
- The Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai has now called for an emergency meeting to tackle the situation.
- A square kilometer of locust swarm containing around 40 million locusts can eat as much food as 35,000 people would in a day.
- This is a first for Gurugram, the city has never been through a locust attack before.
The Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai has now called for an emergency meeting to tackle the situation. "After the emergency meeting, an advisory will be issued on steps to be taken to deal with the situation," Rai said. The officials from the agriculture department are now being asked to visit the areas near to Gurugram.
The dark clouds of locusts covered several parts of the national capital region today - including Rajendra Park of sector 5, Surat Nagar, Dhanwapur, Palam Vihar, Maruti factory in sector 18, DLF phase 1 and other places in old and new Gurugram, IANS reported.
This insect, which is more of a grasshopper, can eat more than its actual body weight. A square kilometer of locust swarm containing around 40 million locusts can eat as much food as 35,000 people would in a day.
According to PTI, the district administration has issued guidelines for the residents, asking them to stay indoors. The residents in the affected areas are now speaking through the loudspeakers to keep the locusts away. "The swarms moved from west to east. They entered Gurugram around 11.30 am," K L Gurjar of the Locust Warning Organisation, Ministry of Agriculture, told IANS.
However, the locust clouds are reportedly approaching South Delhi now.
This is a first for Gurugram, the city has never been through a locust attack before. The locust attacks first happened in May this year. The
Previously, it has happened in remote areas of Gujarat.
AdvertisementWith inputs from PTI
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling