The depth of India’s vaccination drive — Gujarat tops the list, UP and Bihar yet to vaccinate a third of their population
- 700 million Indians have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, this is more than the population of the US, UK, Russia, Germany and France combined.
- Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are currently topping this domain with over 90% of their population receiving the first dose.
- Uttar Pradesh and Bihar are yet to vaccinate nearly a third of their adult population.
The data shared by government authorised COVID-19 vaccine registration app ‘CoWin’ has revealed that over 700 million or 70 crore Indians have received at least the first dose of the vaccine. This is more than the population of the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, Germany and France combined.
About 290 million Indians have received the second dose of the vaccine, which is nearly as much as the population of Indonesia.
About 88% of these vaccinated preferred Covishield over Covaxin, as per data on CoWin app.
India — with the largest population in the world after China — was not only under the pressure to control massive human casualty and strengthen the healthcare infrastructure, but also had the burden to carry out the world’s largest vaccination drive yet.
Central and state governments, along with several private players, took part in this vaccination drive to ensure that this turns out to be successful. Both small and big enterprises decided to vaccinate their employees as well as contractual workers, while others decided to take vaccination drives into people’s localities.
In a state-wise break up, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are currently topping this domain with over 90% of their population receiving the first dose.
Delhi, Assam, and Karnataka are not far behind either. Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar are yet to vaccinate nearly a third of their adult population. Tamil Nadu is just marginally behind.
The above mentioned data has been calculated on the basis of the National Commission on Population report of 2019 by the ministry of health and family welfare. The report highlighted the eligible adult population of each of these states.
To give you a deeper perspective, this is the breakup of the population above 18 years of age in each of the states versus people who have received their first dose.
Source: National Commission on Population report of 2019 for target population, CoWin app for vaccinated people
|State||Population above 18+||Vaccinated with at least one dose|
|Gujarat||4.8 crore||4.4 crore|
|Madhya Pradesh||5.4 crore||4.9 crore|
|Delhi||1.5 crore||1.3 crore|
|Assam||2.3 crore||1.98 crore|
|Karnataka||4.8 crore||4.1 crore|
|Haryana||2 crore||1.75 crore|
|Rajasthan||5.1 crore||4.2 crore|
|Odisha||3.1 crore||2.47 crore|
|Andhra Pradesh||3.9 crore||3.1 crore|
|Telangana||2.7 crore||2.1 crore|
|Chhattisgarh||1.96 crore||1.43 crore|
|Maharashtra||9.1 crore||6.4 crore|
|West Bengal||7.2 crore||5 crore|
|Punjab||2.27 crore||1.56 crore|
|Tamil Nadu||5.7 crore||3.9 crore|
|Bihar||7.3 crore||4.8 crore|
|Uttar Pradesh||14.7 crore||9.4 crore|
With ScoopWhoop and POPxo in its kitty, here’s what MyGlamm intends to do
Reliance’s oil-to-chemicals business seems to be in the right spot to leverage China’s climate crackdown
Reliance Jio cements its lead over Airtel in both total as well as active subscribers
Popular on BI
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Motorola launches 'Moto G31' smartphone with OLED display, starting at ₹12,999
- Ather Energy to set up second manufacturing plant, targets 400k electric scooters annually
- LIC to raise stake in Kotak Mahindra Bank to nearly 10%
- Star Health IPO is asking for five times the price that Rakesh Jhunjhunwala paid in 2018
- ExoMiner, a new machine learning method helped discover 301 exoplanets