The world's largest cricket stadium in India can restart matches within 30 minutes of rain
- India is all set to open the world’s largest stadium in March 2020.
Gujarat Cricket Association(GCA) is preparing as many as 11 pitches with both red and black soil — they will either bouncy, spin friendly or a mix of both.
- It will also have advanced drainage facilities that will flush out the rain water in 30 minutes.
The world’s largest cricket stadium at Ahmedabad with a capacity to host 1.10 lakh fans is likely to be ready to ho… https://t.co/ZFtRoZzzSG— Gujarat Information (@InfoGujarat) 1575282496000
Apart from being the world’s largest, Sardar Patel
The Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) which is executing the project, is preparing as many as 11 pitches.
“Some pitches will be prepared with red soil, while some will be with black soil and some may have a mix of both. There will be bouncy as well as spin-friendly pitches along with sporting pitches based on the requirement,” Dhanraj Nathwani, vice president of GCA told the Indian Express.
Moreover, it will have advanced drainage facilities that will flush out rain water in 30 minutes.
“We have planned a sub-surface drainage system in such a way that the entire ground will dry within 30 minutes after the rain stops. It will help us reduce the chances of cancellation of matches due to rain,” Nathwani added
The exhibition match between Asia XI and World XI in March 2020 is likely to be the first match played in the stadium.
The Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium in Motera will overtake the Melbourne Cricket Ground as world’s largest cricket stadium once completed.
M/S Populous is designing the stadium. It is the same firm which crafted Melbourne Stadium–currently the world’s largest cricket stadium located in Australia.
The stadium is set to cover 63 acres of land and will have the capacity of 110,000 people surpassing the Melbourne Stadium can allow 100,024 fans because of its seating capacity of 95,000 people and standing capacity of 5,000 people.
The stadium will constitute 76 corporate boxes. The stadium will not have any column constructions and hence the fans do not have to face any obstruction while viewing the match from any corner of the stadium.
With this India will have a total of five stadiums in the list top 10 largest stadiums in the world. Presently, Australia accounts for the highest number of largest stadiums.
The parking area will bear nearly 3,000 cars and 10,000 two-wheelers
Popular on BI
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Dolce & Gabbana want to make Elon Musk the ‘King of Crypto’ — but only if he can shell out more than ₹3.8 crore for the ‘Doge Crown’
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Where Indians work — seven charts that show you the employment map of the world’s sixth largest economy
- Alibaba, Binance, Sparkpool and other companies are scrambling to avoid any heat from China over crypto concerns