India’s apex court directs UP state government to grant ₹25 lakh as interim compensation to Unnao rape survivor
- The Supreme Court has ordered the Uttar Pradesh government to extend ₹250,000 as compensation money to
Unnao rape casesurvivor.
- It has asked
Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) Raebareli unit to provide protection.
- The justice bench headed by CJI
Ranjan Gogoialso directed the transfer of of the five Unnao cases to Delhi.
"We will be failing in duty if we don't grant a compensation," the court said.
The apex court also directed the state government to ensure security to the girl, and her lawyer. Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Raebareli unit was asked to provide protection.
The rape survivor, two of her aunts and her lawyer were injured in a road accident on Sunday. The Central Bureau of Investigation, on Wednesday filed a case against BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar and eight others on murder charges, alleging that the accident was planned, India Today reported. Sengar was accused of rape by the victim, a year back.
The King George Medical University hospital said that the condition of the injured rape survivor is critical. Both the survivor and her lawyer are on ventilator. Both the aunts succumbed to injuries.
At a hearing on Wednesday, the SC offered the rape survivor’s family to shift her to AIIMS in Delhi for treatment.
The bench headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi also transferred the all the five Unnao cases — rape of the 19-year-old girl, case on her father under Arms Act, a case on the custodial death of the father, murder case against Kuldeep Sengar, and finally the accident — to Delhi. The Supreme Court asked the bench to conclude all the judicial proceedings within 45 days.
In a letter she wrote to the Chief Justice of India (CJI), the girl had mentioned the possibility of a threat. Unfortunately, the message reached CJI Ranjan Gogoi on Tuesday, two days after she met with an accident.
In April 2018, a four-time MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar was accused for raping the minor at his place in Makhi village. He is currently in judicial custody.
Popular on BI
- COP28 set to kick off from Nov 30 — UAE hopeful for deal on renewable energy tripling, doubling energy efficiency
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club