9 reasons your lower left back hurts and when to see a doctor
- The most common cause of low back pain on the left side is a muscle strain.
- Other causes of lower left back pain include a kidney infection, herniated disc, and pregnancy.
A stabbing or throbbing pain on the lower left side of your back can sideline you from exercise and basic activities for days. The good news is that it's probably because you've strained some of your back muscles or ligaments, which will heal over time.
But in some cases, unilateral back pain, like on just the left side, signals a serious issue like an infection or injury that needs medical care.
Here are nine potential causes of pain on the left side of your lower back, when to consult a doctor, and how you can treat it yourself.
1. Muscle strain
The most common cause of lower left back pain is an injury to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments supporting the spine such as:
- A fall or other accident causing back trauma
- A sudden twisting movement
- An uneven distribution of weight, such as when you're carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder
- Poor posture
Signs your back pain is due to a muscle strain is if you feel sore, stiff, experience a stabbing pain, or have muscle spasms, says Michael Rosner, MD, a neurosurgeon at George Washington University's School of Medical and Health Sciences.
The best thing to do is to prevent UTIs by staying hydrated and peeing after sex, and treating symptoms right away using home treatment methods and/or antibiotics.
If you have left lower back pain and also have symptoms such as burning urination, fever, or chills, see your doctor as soon as possible to check for an infection, says Anthony Chiodo, MD, clinical director of Spinal Cord Injury Medicine at the University of Michigan.
3. Kidney stones
Kidney stones, which are mineral build ups in your urinary tract, can cause sharp, intense pain through the lower left side of your back as well as pain in the lower abdomen, groin, and below the ribs. Another common symptom is bloody urine.
Some of the major risk factors for kidney stones include genetics, diet, geographic location, and other underlying medical conditions.
Smaller stones can pass through the urinary tract without treatment, but a urologist may need to remove larger stones via surgery or by using shock waves to break them up. Or, you could always try riding a roller coaster.
Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the uterine lining grows outside the uterus. It can cause low left back pain, along with intense cramping during menstruation and pain during intercourse.
Endometriosis is a common condition that affects 1 in 10 women in the US, and can lead to complications with fertility. The gold-standard of endometriosis diagnosis is laparoscopic surgery, so doctors can see where the tissue has spread.
5. Stress fracture
The area may hurt when you touch it, and the pain may be too severe to respond to over-the-counter treatments. Most cases heal on their own in six to eight weeks, but the only way to get a proper diagnosis is through medical attention.
Posterior pelvic pain is a deep, throbbing pain that you either experience on one or both sides of your lower back.
You will also probably experience general muscle soreness in your back as the baby grows larger. That's because the baby's weight can throw off your center of gravity, which may require you to compensate by working different muscles in your back.
7. Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is when the joint that connects the hip bones to the lower part of the spine moves abnormally, becoming inflamed.
Inflammation in the left hip joint can cause a dull, aching pain in the left lower back, often accompanied by pain in the buttocks, or in the back of the left upper thigh.
The condition can be chronic or a result of temporary stress. Risk factors include pregnancy, uneven leg length, or impact from an accident like a fall.
8. Herniated disc
Lumbar disks, the cushion of tissue between each vertebrae in the lower spine, can bulge or compress under stress, causing a herniated disc.
Most people have no symptoms from a herniated disc, but some develop pain and numbness on one side of their lower back, depending on where the disc is located. In rare cases, disks break or rupture, causing severe pain and requiring surgery to prevent permanent nerve damage.
"If you have radiating leg pain or increasing leg weakness, or bowel or bladder dysfunction, go to the emergency room," Chiodo says.
Other symptoms may include unexplained weight loss, fever, numbness, weakness, or difficulty walking. However, it's important to note that this is a rare cause of back pain.
How to treat low back pain
- Over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Prescription drugs like muscle relaxants or pain relievers can provide short-term relief.
- Over-the-counter topical creams, gels, patches, or sprays with lidocaine, menthol, or capsaicin stimulate nerves in the skin, dulling pain. They can be particularly helpful for localized pain due to sore muscles.
- Hot or cold pads may help ease pain, reduce inflammation, and improve mobility.
- Core exercises that strengthen your abs and muscles lining the spine may help take the stress off the back, Rosner says. Check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program to make sure the exercises are right for your condition.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), an eight-week program of meditation and gentle yoga, can improve chronic lower back pain.
Pain on the lower left backside is a common ailment and is usually the result of a soft tissue injury. Most back pain can be treated at home and should go away in a matter of weeks.
Having additional symptoms like fever or severe pain that persists for more than a few days may be a sign of a more serious underlying cause, such as a disk rupture, fracture, or an infection.
Consult your doctor as soon as possible if your arm or leg feels numb, you have problems walking or standing, or if you lose control of your bladder or bowels.
- Indian aviation regulator suspends Air India's Chief of Flight Safety
- Checkout the ICC Cricket world cup 2023 matches that will be played in Bengaluru
- India temporarily suspends visa services in Canada
- Updater Services sets IPO price band at Rs 280-300/share
- Investors’ new love for mutual funds might take sheen off bank deposits