The best mattresses for side sleepers
- Finding the perfect mattress is tough for side sleepers, so we've done the research and some testing to bring you the best of the best.
- The fully customizable Helix mattress is our top pick because you can actually design it to suit your specific needs.
Side sleepers, it's a tough life we've chosen. Or rather, a tough life that's chosen us. Finding a mattress that allows us to attain that ever-elusive good night's sleep may be difficult, but it's certainly necessary. After all, if back sleepers and even stomach sleepers can find a way to catch some z's, why can't we?
Perhaps the biggest challenge that I've faced in my side sleeping days is finding a mattress that is firm enough to support my contours, but soft enough to avoid feeling pressure - particularly in my hips and shoulders. And while that mattress may feel like a unicorn, I'm here to bear some good news: There are, in fact, quite a few great mattresses for side sleepers that don't cost a fortune. We've put together this buying guide with the best ones you can buy based on research and testing.When considering a side sleeping mattress, you should keep a few things in mind. First and foremost, you'll want your bed to help with spinal alignment. There's nothing worse than waking up with terrible back pain because you've somehow curled up into a rather unstrategic ball during the night.Advertisement
You'll also need to find a mattress that alleviates pressure. I often find that I toss and turn because my mattress isn't forgiving enough on my hips, or that my shoulders are sore because my mattress is just a little too firm.
That means that the ideal mattress for us side sleepers is likely a bit softer than you might otherwise want. But be sure that the mattress isn't too supple. After all, you'll need something that will support you across a range of sleeping positions. It's likely that even though you start off on your slide, you ultimately fall asleep on your back or on your stomach, and as such, you'll want a mattress that is as dynamic and flexible as you are.Regardless of which one you choose from our favorites, we're confident that you'll get a good night's sleep. And if you find that these mattresses don't work for you, rest assured that they come with a sleep trial so you can take these beds for a test run before making a long-term commitment.
Here are the best mattresses for side sleepers:
- Best mattress for side sleepers overall: Helix mattress
- Best mattress for athletes: Bear mattress
- Best contouring mattress for side sleepers: Nectar mattress
- Best mattress for spinal alignment: Casper Wave mattress
- Best designed mattress for side sleepers: Leesa mattress
Updated on 11/5/2019 by Caitlin Petreycik: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best mattress for side sleepers overall
The best mattress for side sleeping athletesAdvertisement
The best contouring mattress for side sleepers
The best mattress for spinal alignmentAdvertisement
The best mattress for any kind of sleeper
Check out more great buying guides for beddingAdvertisement
- Four Delhi cops face heat for misreporting drug seizure
- Former union minister Jaswant Singh passes away at 82
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'