After leaving Meta, ex-Diem employees raise $200 million for new blockchain project Aptos
- Ex-Diem employees have raised $200 million for a new
blockchainproject called Aptos.
- The blockchain network plans to live sometime between July to September this year.
- The founders are happy to be free of scrutiny after moving on from its parent
Since departing Meta – formerly Facebook – we have been able to put our ideas into motion, ditch bureaucratic red tape, and build an entirely new network.
The startup has raised $200 million to launch the new network after being sold off by Facebook-parent Meta in February. According to the founders, former Meta employees Mo Shaikh and Avery Ching, leaving Facebook has been a blessing in disguise for the company – especially when it comes to scrutiny from the law.
The funding round was led by capital venture firm Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), which has pumped money into at least 50 crypto startups betting big on blockchain technology and web3. Other firms like Three Arrows Capital, FTX Ventures, Paxos, and Coinbase Ventures also participated.
Aptos has not shared a specific valuation but told TechCrunch the company’s overall worth is “well off into the unicorn territory.”
Aptos – the new face of Diem
The influx of fresh capital will be used onboard new staff and to support the developers who plan on building out their projects on the Aptos blockchain.
According to the company, the blockchain’s underlying vision is based on “absolute safety, extensible scalability, and credible neutrality.” Aptos uses the Move language to code its blockchain, which was originally built for
Over the past couple of weeks, the startup has been showcasing decentralised finance (DeFi), non-fungible token (NFT), web3, and other projects that are in development. Developers have another six months to build them out with Aptos expecting its Mainnet launch to happen sometime between July to September this year.
Paytm may face ‘tough times ahead’, stock brokers recommend to stay away from the stock
Microsoft’s web3 plans now includes Ethereum co-founder’s startup ConsenSys
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore