E-commerce giant JD.com accepts China's digital currency for world's biggest shopping event
- JD.com is accepting e-CNY for payment on its e-commerce platform during the Singles Day promotional period.
- More than 100,000 people have used e-CNY on the company's app during the promo period so far, JD said.
The e-commerce giant said in December it would begin accepting the
According to JD, over 100,000 customers have paid using e-CNY on the JD shopping app during the Singles Day promotional period, which first began October 31. Users also receive 15 yuan ($2.34) when they download China's digital currency app via JD's download link.
Last year, Singles Day across all platforms had a gross merchandise value of 840 billion yuan ($131.3 billion), making it bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined. This year, some of that yuan will be replaced with China's central bank digital currency.
While the e-CNY is not a
Meanwhile, the People's Bank of China has been gradually rolling out its digital currency across individual provinces. As of the end of October, more than 140 million people have opened wallets for the digital yuan, which has been used for transactions totalling 62 billion yuan ($9.7 billion), a central bank official said earlier this month.
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning
- India, Japan agree to strengthen economic cooperation including achieving progress on high-speed railway project
- India rises to No 1 in ODIs, becomes top ranked team in all formats
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x