I asked ChatGPT to make the case for and against crypto and it weighed in on regulation, energy, and decentralization
- Insider's Phil Rosen asked ChatGPT to weigh in on the pros and cons of cryptocurrencies.
- The viral language bot offered five reasons for and five reasons against the digital asset class.
ChatGPT has demonstrated proficiency in writing articles, real-estate listings, and even dating-app messages. But what does OpenAI's buzzy artificial intelligence tool have to say about cryptocurrencies?
The bot doesn't have access to real-time markets data, and its knowledge only goes up to 2021, meaning it is oblivious to all the events that transpired during the 2022 crypto crash — including FTX's collapse.
Still, it has plenty of historical intel to work with. Here's what the bot had to say in response to the query "make the argument for/against crypto," while also emphasizing that everyone should do their own research and consult a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.
ChatGPT makes the case against crypto
- Volatility: This makes crypto "a risky investment and makes it difficult for them to be used as a reliable means of payment."
- Security concerns: Decentralization makes crypto vulnerable to "hacking, fraud, and other security risks, and there have been several instances of major exchanges and wallets being hacked and funds being stolen."
- Regulatory uncertainty: The lack of regulation "creates uncertainty for investors and raises questions about their legitimacy and stability."
- Lack of acceptance: "Cryptocurrencies are not yet widely accepted as a means of payment, and it can be difficult to find merchants who accept them. This limits their usefulness and practicality for everyday use."
- Energy consumption: Cryptocurrency mining requires significant energy use, and this "raises concerns about the environmental impact of cryptocurrency mining and the sustainability of the technology."
ChatGPT makes the case for crypto
- Decentralization: "This makes [crypto] resistant to censorship and government control, and gives users more control over their own funds."
- Efficiency: "Cryptocurrencies have the potential to offer faster and more efficient transactions compared to traditional financial systems. Transactions can be processed quickly and with lower fees, making them a more accessible and affordable option for many people."
- Financial privacy: "Cryptocurrencies offer greater financial privacy compared to traditional financial systems, where transactions can be tracked and monitored by financial institutions and governments."
- Innovation: "Cryptocurrencies are driving innovation in the financial sector and beyond, and have the potential to bring about new and improved financial products and services."
- Accessibility: "Cryptocurrencies have the potential to make financial services more accessible to people who may not have access to traditional banking services, such as those living in underbanked or unbanked areas."
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds
- Climate change could cause millions of children to be born prematurely, suffer lifelong complications
- Markets record rally makes investors richer by ₹4.29 lakh crore
- From undernutrition to obesity, Lancet study unveils India's double whammy
- GST collections in February rise 12.5% to cross ₹1.68 lakh crore