Polymarket platform for placing crypto bets on COVID, Bennifer 2.0, and Trump's return is under investigation by the CFTC, report says
CFTCis investigating whether Polymarket allows improper trading of swaps or binary options, Bloomberg reported.
- The regulator, which is investigating Binance for insider trading, is scrutinizing the
- Polymarket gathers prediction data by letting people bet crypto on beliefs such as whether Trump will be re-elected.
Polymarket, one of the biggest
The US-based platform lets people place crypto bets on what will happen next in topics in the news and social media, such as whether former president Donald Trump will return to the White House. That trading activity is then turned into prediction data.
The CFTC, the US derivatives
Swaps are derivative contracts to exchange money for a set period of time, while binary options let investors trade on price fluctuations.
Polymarket and the CFTC did not respond to requests for comment.
On the Polymarket platform right now, people can place bids on whether Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck will get engaged again by Thanksgiving - so far, most have said no. Wagers have been placed on whether Nicki Minaj will get the COVID-19 vaccine by November 29 (most said no). When a prediction proves to be true, the person betting gets a return.
Polymarket is not the only crypto-related company to come under the CFTC's lens, as the regulator has been investigating crypto exchange Binance for insider trading since late September. Its officials are looking into whether Binance profited from trading on customer orders before they were executed.
Other US regulators have trained their sights on crypto. The Securities and Exchange Commission and the Treasury Department are looking at how they can tax and regulate crypto trading better, to prevent fraud and "malign actors" from transferring funds across borders.
- Top 10 places to visit in Andhra Pradesh
- CBI to arrest Kejriwal in few days, will serve him notice by evening: AAP
- GSTN to share data with RBI's frictionless credit platform
- Nifty retreats from its record highs to close flat
- Pesticides are leaving lasting behavioural changes through generations of fish, study finds