Terra is the second-biggest DeFi player in the crypto market, but it may be overvalued
- Terra is now the second-biggest decentralised finance (DeFi) player in the crypto market, after Ethereum.
- However, its total value locked (TVL) ratio shows that the cryptocurrency may be overvalued as its current price of $82.04.
- Terra’s LUNA token hit an all-time-high of $83.81, earlier today.
AdvertisementTerra, whose LUNA token has been bucking the doldrums of the crypto market to barge its way into the top 10 most valuable cryptocurrency by value, is now the second-biggest smart contract platform after Ethereum.
Moreover, Terra’s LUNA token’s price hit all-time-high of $83.81 earlier today as it continues to surge. Compared to last year, LUNA’s price is 12,000% percent higher. This means if you had invested ₹10,000 in the token on January 1, it would be worth ₹12,00,000 today.
Top five smart contract platforms by total value locked (TVL):
Source: DeFi Llama
|Platform||Seven-day change||Total value locked|
|Ethereum (ETH)||5.88%||$153.18 billion|
|Terra (LUNA)||55%||$18.06 billion|
|BSC (BNB)||3.87%||$16.61 billion|
Is Terra headed for a dip?
According to data cited by DeFi Llama, the total value locked (TVL) in Terra has surged by 55% in the last seven days, overtaking Binance Smart Chain (BNB). TVL is an indicator of how many assets are currently being staked on a specific platform. Simply put, it’s the overall underlying supply.
However, at a price of $82.04 and market capitalisation of $30.48 billion, according to CoinMarketCap, the TVL ratio of Terra comes up to 1.68. This indicates that the recent bull run has left the cryptocurrency overvalued. According to FXStreet, investors will now be looking to book profits, which is likely to push LUNA to lower, but more stable, levels.
Source: Data as of 3:00pm Indian Standard Time (IST) | TVL figure from DeFi Llama, Market capitalisation from CoinMarketCap | Calculation done by Business Insider India
|Total Value Locked (TVL)||Market capitalisation||TVL Ratio (TVL/M Cap)|
|$18.06 billion||$30.48 billion||1.68|
As of 3:00pm Indian Standard Time (IST), Terra’s price has jumped by nearly 9% in the last 24 hours with a 44% increase over the last seven days. During the last week, it broke into the top 10 most valued cryptocurrencies in the global market alongside Avalanche’s re-entry.
And, a lot of the credit goes to the hype behind DeFi. Terra UST (UST) is one of the stablecoins — others include the Euro (EUT), the Canadian Dollar (CAT), and the Japanese Yen (JPY) — that’s based on the Terra blockchain. It is now the most valuable decentralised stablecoin in the world after overtaking DAI.
Battle of metaverses: The Sandbox, Decentraland and CryptoVoxels see sales surge as companies look to get in on the ground floor
Alibaba, Tencent, and other Chinese players are betting big on the metaverse — but the government is yet to buy into the hype
Immersion cooling has been around for over a decade, but it’s coming back in vogue thanks to Bitcoin mining
Popular on BI
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- More than one in five people experience violence and harassment at work: ILO
- End of revenge spending? Urban spending to taper off in the next few quarters, says Motilal Oswal
- Rupee falls 24 paise to 82.09/$ amid rising crude, foreign fund outflows
- City of Joy mourns the loss of Dominique Lapierre
- Sensex, Nifty50 open in the red amid negative global cues – TVS Motor, Adani Enterprises, HDFC among stocks to watch out for