There's now a 'Squid Game' cryptocurrency - and it's jumped more than 75,000% in under a week
- The Netflix hit "
Squid Game" has inspired the squidcryptocurrency.
- Squid has surged more than 75,000% in less than a week.
The Netflix hit "Squid Game" has extended its reach into the cryptocurrency sphere with the squid token - and it's already up over 75,000% this week, according to CoinMarketCap.
"Squid Game" is a South Korean dystopian series about people competing for prize money in brutal survival games. The hit series is a runaway success and has become a global cultural phenomenon.
Squid was trading around $0.012 on Tuesday, but it was at $9.19 on Friday - a surge of more than 75,000%. Its fully diluted market cap is now about $722 million.
Presales of squid started on October 20 and, according to its white paper, "sold out in 1 second."
It's a "play-to-earn"
"The more people join, the larger reward pool will be," the white paper said. "More importantly, we do not provide deadly consequences apparently! Your experience will only reflect on the joy of winning rewards and sorrow of losing money when the game failed."
Correction: An earlier version of this article said squid cryptocurrency had jumped 2,000%.
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months
- Taj Hotels’ Qmin food delivery app claims to be the only profitable business among its peers
- India's foreign exchange reserves fall to $573 bn