Investors around the world are ditching the markets
Bank of America Lynch sent around a report tracking global fund flows, and since the second half of last year, cash has been the most popular asset in the world.
Over that period about $7 billion went into the stock market. Fixed income funds saw $46 billion in outflows, which BAML thinks is mostly due to redemptions from the credit markets, as opposed to say the government bond market.
Over the same period, $208 billion went into cash.
When we say "cash" we mean the cold, hard stuff and anything that can easily be converted into it. That includes money market mutual funds and bank deposits that carry interest. It basically means investors are taking their money out of the markets and sitting it out.
Bank of America said that investors are effectively selling inflation, and buying deflation, or the continued decline in the value of asset prices.
The week ending January 27 saw the largest outflows from Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities - which are supposed to provide protection from inflation - in 33 weeks. It also marked the thirteenth straight week of outflows from bank loan funds and the seventh straight week of outflows from financials.
"All votes of no-confidence in the economy," Bank of America said in the note.
In contrast, there have been four straight weeks of "robust inflows" into super-safe government and Treasury bonds, and 19 weeks of inflows into muni bonds.
Here are the charts:
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry
- BharatPe files arbitration to claw back co-founder Ashneer Grover's unvested 1.4% shares
- Two Adani Group companies rule as the top all-round wealth creators – here are a few other unexpected entries
- Realme10 Pro Plus Mobile
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Adani Enterprises
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World