Is Flipkart's musical chair with its CEO justified?
January 9, 2017, was the day when India’s largest e-commerce company and darling startup appointed a non-founder as its CEO in about 9 years of its inception, also making it the first Indian Unicorn to do so.
AdvertisementIt seems like an earnest attempt to stabilize the business that is too big to fail, despite, mounting losses, employees being let go and it’s founder asking the government’s help to tackle global giant and its biggest rival in India, Amazon.
The last fiscal was tough for the internet giant, with Flipkart Internet, it's holding company, incurring a loss of Rs 2,306 Cr., which has more than doubled from 2015, despite revenues growing around 140% to Rs 1,952 Cr.
Not just that, in November 2016, Morgan
So why this disruptive measure, when what is required the most for its survival is stability and continuity? Well, for starters, Flipkart could be relying on the time-tested formula of getting an outsider's fresh perspective to revive what is rotting.
ALSO READ: Exclusive: What India Read Through Flipkart in 2016
Ace global investor
• Comprehensive knowledge
• Moral Authority
• Total commitment to the long term
In other words, Parents are always more careful with their children compared to any babysitter. Flipkart seems to be flipping to the other side in this case.
Most international startups hire CEOs with more experience than the company’s founders when they become popular. Maybe Flipkart thinks that this is the way to grow. At least that is also what one of its former senior employee's
ALSO READ: Here are the top books of Jaipur Literature Festival for the past decade
Krishnamurthy, along with CEOs of fashion business Myntra (and
The other Bansal, Sachin will continue to be Flipkart’s executive chairman, focusing on broader strategy and mentoring top leadership. He has been doing that since 2016 when he stepped down as CEO.
The founders keep switching roles to see which one fits them best, but for now, they seemed to have abandoned the stage to manage backstage where actors are leaving, and props are finished.
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- Best 2.1 channel speakers with Bluetooth support
- OPINION: Experts’ guide to understanding the role of DeFi in digital finance
- OpenSea is returning the millions users lost due to a bug
- Indian crypto exchanges, influencers fall prey to hacks promoting crypto scam
- Brands celebrate Republic Day with patriotic fervour