It sure looks like Microsoft is launching another Surface tablet later this month
Microsoft has issued invitations to an event in Shanghai, to be held on May 23rd.
This isn't that unusual in and of itself: Microsoft, a global company with major consumer and enterprise businesses, holds press conferences and events all over the world on a regular basis. Except that this time, the invitation to the Shanghai event was posted to Instagram by Panos Panay, Microsoft's hardware chief, with the hashtag "#Surface."
To hammer it home, Microsoft confirms to the Verge that there will be new hardware at this event, making it a safe bet that we're going to see some kind of new Surface device.
The safe money is on a reveal of the Surface Pro 5 tablet - which is reportedly going to be a minor improvement over the current model.
But with such limited information, the mystery hardware could turn out to be anything: A new Surface Book, a refresh to the Surface Studio PC, or even, possibly, the long-rumored Surface Phone.
It's odd to think that Microsoft would launch another new device so soon: just a few days ago, on May 2nd, Microsoft unveiled the Surface Laptop, a $999 competitor to the Apple MacBook. And yet, it's shaping up that way.
Still, if it is the Surface Pro 5, it's not coming a moment too soon. Microsoft Surface revenue dipped 26% last quarter, by $285 million, as the 18-month-old Surface Pro 4 started showing its age, and as Windows PC manufacturers released their own price-competitive Surface clones.
Finally, and this part is just a guess, but the time would be right for Microsoft to refresh the original, non-Pro Surface tablet. The Surface 3, the current model, is exactly two years old today. And with the introduction of Windows 10 S, a lightweight new version of the operating system designed to eke more performance out of less-robust hardware, a new Surface to show it off on the tablet form factor could just make sense.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22