Jason Statham Almost Died While Filming 'The Expendables 3'
Getty Images/Jason Merritt
With Statham behind the wheel of a three-ton truck, the brakes went out and the truck plunged 60 feet into the Black Sea. Fortunately, Statham - who previously competed as a professional diver for England - knew how to handle it.
"Luckily we had taken the doors off before," his co-star Sylvester Stallone told The Mirror at the film's London premiere. "If anyone else had been in that truck we would have been dead because we were all wearing heavy boots and gun belts. We would have drowned. But because Jason is an Olympic-quality diver he got out of it."
Sly brought up the anecdote recently, although this isn't the first time it's being reported. Actor Terry Crews also told of the incident last year during filming. "He gets out, swims to the top, and the truck is gone," Crews told Jay Leno. "Let me tell you something, Jason Statham is a true bad, bad dude."
Statham for his part, played down any danger he experienced on set while playing the character of "Lee Christmas," a former British SAS soldier. When asked of his worst injury during filming, he said, "I snapped a shoelace in the very first scene," according to the UK Independent.
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Why Google employees fear the worst as the company quietly extends its hiring freeze
- FIFA bans India for third party influence; Women's U17 World Cup not to be held in India
- WeWork co-founder's startup gets valued at $1 billion even before launch
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 and Galaxy Z Flip4 pre-booking starts today in India - check all offers here
- Markets open higher as inflation worries ease; auto stocks are top gainers
- Ola S1 electric scooter relaunched at an introductory price, electric car teased