Jeff Bezos' net worth plunged by $3.4 billion in Monday's stock rout - and the rest of the world's super rich lost $117 billion
- Jeff Bezos yesterday lost $3.4 billion in net worth on Monday, after US stocks plunged after China's yuan fell dramatically, Bloomberg reported.
- The world's richest lost 2.1% collectively, with the 500 wealthiest losing $117 billion.
- Mark Zuckerberg lost $2.8 billion while Bill Gates lost $2 billion in net worth.
- View Markets Insider for more stories.
The world's 500 wealthiest people lost a collective $117 billion as stocks plunged across the world after China's move to let its currency fall to 2008 levels sparked global fears of an escalation in the US-China trade war.Other notable losses were Bernard Arnault losing $3.2 billion, Mark Zuckerberg down $2.8 billion, Mukesh Ambani dropping $2.4 billion, and Bill Gates' net worth down by $2 billion.
"But he's still the richest person on the planet with $110 billion," Bloomberg said.Bloomberg also noted that even after the losses, the 500 wealthiest individuals control roughly $5.4 trillion, up 11% from the start of 2019.
Last week, Bezos had sold off more of Amazon's shares than previously thought, totalling roughly $2.8 billion.
- L’Oréal Paris and ambassadors Aditi Rao Hydari, Sobhita Dhulipala, Shakti Mohan and Mithali Raj share their heartfelt gratitude for heroes on International Nurses Day
- This cryptocurrency is valued at $45 billion, and it's just a day old
- India's geo imaging satellite launch delayed due to rising COVID-19 cases
- Gartner report reveals global chip shortage may continue till Q2 2022
- COVID-19: Gurugram, Faridabad and Sonipat districts in Haryana worst hit with new infections