Jennifer Lawrence says a producer put her in a 'nude line-up' and told her to lose '15 pounds in 2 weeks'
Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
Lawrence, one of eight honorees at the event, said when she was just at the beginning of her acting career, she was told by a producer on a film she was working on to "lose 15 pounds in two weeks."
Another actress had already been fired from the project for "not losing enough weight fast enough," according to Lawrence.
"During this time, a female producer had me do a nude line-up with about five women who were much, much, thinner than me. We stood side-by-side with only paste-ons covering our privates," Lawrence recounted.
Lawrence said the line-up had been "degrading and humiliating," and that afterwards, the same female producer told her to use the naked photos of herself "as inspiration" to lose weight.
Lawrence, who took issue with the "unrealistic diet regime" she was expected to maintain, went to another producer to discuss it.
"He said he didn't know why everyone thought I was so fat, he thought I was 'perfectly f-able,'" Lawrence said.
The actress described feeling "trapped" and powerless by the entire experience. "I let myself be treated a certain way because I felt I had to for my career," Lawrence said. She said she felt that she was still negotiating how to stick up for herself without being labeled as "difficult" - although according to Lawrence, the producers on that film did call her a "nightmare."
Lawrence said when working on "The Hunger Games" films, she was extremely conscious of the effect that harsh beauty standards can have.
"We will stop normalizing these horrific situations," Lawrence said. "We will change this narrative and make a difference for all of those individuals pursuing their dreams."
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share
- Human trials may reveal efficacy of new Rs 100 cancer pill: Docs
- Multiplexes' revenue growth to dip to 15% in FY25 as OTTs crimp profit margins