Jennifer Lawrence will star in true-crime mafia movie 'Mob Girl,' as she tries to rebound from a string of major flops
Jamie McCarthy/ Getty Images
- Jennifer Lawrence will star in and produce the true-crime movie "Mob Girl," directed by Paolo Sorrentino.
- Lawrence is in need of a hit after a string of flops that failed to impress both critics and audiences.
- Her most recent movie, "Dark Phoenix," is the lowest-grossing "X-Men" movie to date and was slammed by critics.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jennifer Lawrence has found her next project.The Oscar winner will star in and produce "Mob Girl," based on the 1992 true-crime book "Mob Girl: A Woman's Life in the Underworld" by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Teresa Carpenter. Paolo Sorrentino, who directed HBO's 2017 limited series "The Young Pope," is set to direct.
"Growing up among racketeers on the Lower East Side of New York City, Arlyne Brickman associated with mobsters. Drawn to the glamorous and flashy lifestyle, she was soon dating 'wiseguys' and running errands for them; but after years as a mob girlfriend, Arlyne began to get in on the action herself - eventually becoming a police informant and major witness in the government's case against the Colombo crime family."
Lawrence is in need of a hit after a string of major flops. Her last five movies have failed to land with both critics and audiences: this year's "Dark Phoenix," last year's "Red Sparrow," 2017's "mother!," and 2016's "Passengers" and "X-Men: Apocalypse."The highest-rated movie of those on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes is Darren Aronofsky's "mother!" with a 69% score. But the movie bombed with audiences, grossing $44.5 million worldwide and receiving a F rating from Cinemascore, which surveys moviegoers on a movie's opening night.
The other four aforementioned movies all received "rotten" scores on Rotten Tomatoes (below 60%). The lowest rated of them is the "X-Men" movie "Dark Phoenix," which grossed just $250 million off of a $200 million production budget.
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far
- After Maharashtra and Delhi, Rajasthan government announces weekend curfew to curb the spread of COVID-19