'Just let us play!': Tom Brady criticizes NFL officiating during game he wasn't playing in
Michael Reaves/Getty Images
- Tom Brady expressed frustration with NFL officials on Thursday night while watching the Jacksonville Jaguars-Tennessee Titans game.
- "Too many penalties. Just let us play!" Brady tweeted after the game featured 15 flags thrown in the first half alone.
- Brady was not alone in his critique of the officials.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
- 30% OFF
iQOO Z3 5G (Cyber Blue, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) | India's First SD 768G 5G Processor | 55W FlashCharge | Upto 9 Months No Cost EMI | 6 Months Free Screen Replacement₹ 17990₹ 24990Buy On
- 18% OFF
Mi 11X 5G (Celestial Silver 6GB RAM 128GB ROM | SD 870 | DisplayMate A+ rated E4 AMOLED | Upto 18 Months No Cost EMI)₹ 27999₹ 33999Buy On
- 24% OFF
Samsung Galaxy M32 (Light Blue, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) 6 Months Free Screen Replacement for Prime₹ 12999₹ 16999Buy On
- 6% OFF
OnePlus 9 Pro 5G (Morning Mist, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 60999₹ 64999Buy On
- 27% OFF
Samsung Galaxy M12 (Blue,4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) 6000 mAh with 8nm Processor | True 48 MP Quad Camera | 90Hz Refresh Rate₹ 9499₹ 12999Buy On
Tom Brady has had it with all of the penalties NFL officials are calling these days.
"Too many penalties. Just let us play!" Brady tweeted while apparently watching the Thursday night matchup between the Jaguars and Titans.
The two teams combined for 15 penalties in the first half, making the game a frustrating one to watch.
After a few more soft calls, Brady said he turned the game off.
Brady wasn't the only one to express frustration with the officiating in the game.
NFL officials are in a tough spot when it comes to such criticism. On one hand, fans just want to watch players make plays, so the frustration with all of the stops is understandable. That said, referees can't see a hold and just decide not to call it because there was already a holding penalty on the previous play.
Offensive holding has been a focus of officiating crews this season, and the results on the field are clear. According to ESPN, 178 holding flags have been called through two weeks of NFL action - an increase of 66% compared to last season.
There were plenty of egregious penalties throughout the game that left officials no choice but to throw the flag. But there were also some noticeably soft calls on which fans and players alike would have preferred the refs to swallow their whistles.
I'm turning off this game I can't watch these ridiculous penalties anymore #TENvsJAC- Tom Brady (@TomBrady) September 20, 2019
Thursday Night Football summary pic.twitter.com/EwgbfN9pgy- Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 20, 2019
Penalty flags are killing the NFL.- Tiki Barber (@TikiBarber) September 20, 2019
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover
- YouTube is the most-used social media platform by influencers in India: AnyTag report