The world's largest religious gathering is a $150 billion business
- India’s Ardh Kumbh Mela, 2019 which kicked off on 15 January is reportedly going to get the Uttar Pradesh government a $150 billion return on investment.
- Kumbh Mela at
Prayagrajhas already engaged over 600,000 people in commercial activities ranging from hospitality to logistics.
- This year’s festival has been a boon for local traders as the authorities are expecting 130 million tourists from within the country and outside India.
Millions of pilgrims both from within the country and around the world visit the festival to take a holy dip at the confluence of three Indian rivers -- the Ganga, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati.
Here’s an insight into the economics of the world’s largest religious gathering:
Business and Spiritualism at Kumbh
Costliest Kumbh ever
Increase in employment opportunities
Employment for over 600,000 people
World’s largest temporary city
Popular on BI
- COP28 set to kick off from Nov 30 — UAE hopeful for deal on renewable energy tripling, doubling energy efficiency
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club