The best scales you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Even if you're not actively trying to lose or maintain your weight, it's good to have a scale at home.
- The Digital Body Fat Weight Scale by Balance is our top pick because it accurately measures your weight and has an easy-to-read screen.
Bathroom scales have come a long way in the past few decades, and you don't necessarily have to pay top dollar to get top features. Whether you are looking for a scale to serve as your sidekick as you work toward your fitness goals or you just want to occasionally weigh yourself to make sure nothing wonky is going on with your body, there are highly accurate scales available that vary in complexity from simply displaying your weight to charting your progress on your smartphone.
You can still find analog scales with a single needle that points to your weight, but none of these are included in our guide because they are difficult to read and imprecise. The digital scale is an excellent basic alternative if you just want to find out how much you weigh. Most digital scales display your weight to the nearest 0.2 pounds. There are also some models that have several user profiles so everyone in your family can track their weight and body mass index (BMI).
Body fat scales have come down in price quite a bit in the past few years. Also referred to as "body composition monitors," these scales usually use bioelectrical impedance analysis, which sends a small electrical current through your body, to measure your body fat, muscle mass, bone density, water weight, and more.
Smart scales are growing in popularity. They connect to your tablet or smartphone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Smart scales usually have their own app that syncs with the most popular fitness apps, such as Google Fit, Apple Health, and Fitbit. The app keeps a record of your various health metrics and can display graphs detailing your progress over time.
Before settling on the scales we chose to include in this guide, we first researched the buyer and expert reviews of dozens of other scales. Our top picks are all highly-rated for accuracy, ease of use, and long-term performance.
Here are the best scales you can buy:
- Best scale overall: Digital Body Fat Weight Scale by Balance
- Best budget scale under $20: EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale
- Best no-frills scale: Taylor Glass and Chrome Digital Bathroom Scale
- Best smart scale: Bluetooth Smart Body Fat Scale by Weight Gurus
- Best smart scale on a budget: Eufy BodySense Smart Scale
Updated on 6/5/2019 by Les Shu: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Keep scrolling to read more about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best scale overall
The best budget scale
The best no-frills scale
The best smart scale
The best smart scale on a budget
- Snapdragon 8 Gen 1: Qualcomm, Google Cloud partner to upgrade AI models in mobile platforms
- Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset to power Realme GT 2 Pro
- Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip: Improved performance, camera capabilities and more
- From today, negative COVID-19 test report and seven days' quarantine mandatory for international travellers to India
- Android apps that steal banking details were downloaded 300,000 times in just 4 months