Another Mallya in the making? A wait of two years and lenders receive peanuts from Winsome group
AdvertisementWhile everyone is busy keeping an eye on Vijay Mallya, who has been in news for his transit from India’s liquor baron to its largest willful defaulter, one also needs to know the developments in the gold and diamond house Winsome group that stands close behind Mallya in loan defaults.
After a long wait of two years, lenders to
Winsome spokespersons and its promoter Jatin Mehta have maintained their stand of being unable to repay banks the loans of Rs 6,800 crore because of non-payment by overseas customers who have lost heavily on gold and currency derivative bets. However, no bank has bought what looks like a cooked-up excuse.
Popular on BI
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments