Mark Zuckerberg paid a Kochi engineering student $700 for a domain name
Amal has 'beaten' the master at his own game and closed a deal with FB, trading the registration rights of
FB approached Augustine for the domain name registered by him as it was the short form of Maxime Chan Zuckerberg, the name of FB founder Mark Zuckerberg's daughter.
More than the money, Augustine, a final-year electronics student from a city engineering college, says he was thrilled by the fact that FB approached him.
He says his passion for filing internet domain names has earned him a small profit. He received $700 in the deal with FB.
"I have registered quite a few domain names and I have been doing it for some time. I registered this domain name when their baby was born last December," said Amal, a student of KMEA engineering college. However, the FB team's approach foxed Amal. The request came as a casual email from GoDaddy, an internet domain registrar and web hosting company, asking whether he would be willing to sell the domain name by the end of last month and for how much.
He replied yes and asked for a decent sum of $700.
But when the mail came closing the deal, he realised it was FB. The mail was from Sara Chapel, manager of Iconic Capital, the firm which handles the financial deals of Facebook founder.
"When the letter came officially mentioning the change of registration, I noticed the FB letterhead. But since it's not legal to negotiate, I just went ahead and closed the deal in seven days," he said.
AdvertisementAn internet domain or domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the internet.Domain names are formed by the rules and procedures of the Domain Name System (DNS). Any name registered in DNS is a domain name.
Image credit: Indiatimes
Popular on BI
- Tax rate revision will increase purchasing power of middle class: Bandhan Bank CEO
- Budget 2023 gives a boost to artificial intelligence – government to set up three centers of excellence
- Mukesh Ambani overtakes Gautam Adani as the richest Indian on the Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List
- Startups incorporated till March 2024 to get income tax benefits: FM
- Union Budget 2023: National Digital Library is government’s tech solution to provide education to all