Melania Trump is being mocked for the outfit she wore in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden almost a year ago
- Photos of Melania Trump gardening in the vegetable garden established by Michelle Obama in 2009 are going viral.
- The photos show Trump gardening in a Balmain plaid shirt that costs more than $600.
- While the photos were taken in September 2017, they recently went viral on Twitter as meme inspiration.
Photos of Melania Trump gardening in a photo shoot-ready outfit are going viral, almost a year after the first lady made a public appearance in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden.
In September 2017, the first lady hosted local schoolchildren in the White House Kitchen Garden, founded by Michelle Obama, to help harvest it.
Trump wore a Balmain plaid shirt to the event, along with squeaky-clean Converse sneakers. The shirt was priced at more than $1,000 at the time, but it has since been discounted to $690 at Net-A-Porter.
While the event took place almost a year ago, the photos have been blowing up as memes on social media over the last few days.
Many of the memes pointed out that the first lady looked a bit out of her natural element in the garden.
One of Michelle Obama's best-known acts as first lady was establishing the garden in 2009. It was a symbol of her efforts to reduce rates of childhood obesity with initiatives such as the "Let's Move" campaign and school nutritional regulations.
In addition to serving as a symbol of her initiatives, Obama used the garden as a place to showcase her down-to-earth fashion. Vogue said in its review of Obama's 2012 book "American Grown" that "throughout the book, the first lady, always beautifully coiffed, wears a different J. Crew sweater to match the season (marigold yellow for summer, argyle for fall)."
Trump's garden style is less accessible than Obama's clothes from J. Crew and Target. At $690 for a seemingly casual shirt, most people aren't likely to run out to copy Trump's style.
these look exactly like my workout soles. because i work out as much as this chick gardens pic.twitter.com/s2mwLKRK7b- christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) July 31, 2018
Melania tending to her nightshade and hemlock garden. pic.twitter.com/1462ZJcf3G- Bubbagump (@bubbagump324) July 28, 2018
me making sure the barista sees me put money in the tip jar pic.twitter.com/Sao2B0DkfR- Alyssa Limperis (@alyssalimp) July 31, 2018
When your H-1B visa application says your special skill is "r̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶ gardening" but you hate dirt. pic.twitter.com/ZEtUhZRj1Q- Mrs. Betty Bowers (@BettyBowers) July 31, 2018
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- Sensex, Nifty scale fresh record highs, rise for 4th day in a row
- Passenger vehicles record 11.3% growth in February 2024, two-wheelers record 35% growth