Melania Trump is being mocked for the outfit she wore in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden almost a year ago
- Photos of Melania Trump gardening in the vegetable garden established by Michelle Obama in 2009 are going viral.
- The photos show Trump gardening in a Balmain plaid shirt that costs more than $600.
- While the photos were taken in September 2017, they recently went viral on Twitter as meme inspiration.
Photos of Melania Trump gardening in a photo shoot-ready outfit are going viral, almost a year after the first lady made a public appearance in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden.
In September 2017, the first lady hosted local schoolchildren in the White House Kitchen Garden, founded by Michelle Obama, to help harvest it.
Trump wore a Balmain plaid shirt to the event, along with squeaky-clean Converse sneakers. The shirt was priced at more than $1,000 at the time, but it has since been discounted to $690 at Net-A-Porter.
While the event took place almost a year ago, the photos have been blowing up as memes on social media over the last few days.
Many of the memes pointed out that the first lady looked a bit out of her natural element in the garden.
One of Michelle Obama's best-known acts as first lady was establishing the garden in 2009. It was a symbol of her efforts to reduce rates of childhood obesity with initiatives such as the "Let's Move" campaign and school nutritional regulations.
In addition to serving as a symbol of her initiatives, Obama used the garden as a place to showcase her down-to-earth fashion. Vogue said in its review of Obama's 2012 book "American Grown" that "throughout the book, the first lady, always beautifully coiffed, wears a different J. Crew sweater to match the season (marigold yellow for summer, argyle for fall)."
Trump's garden style is less accessible than Obama's clothes from J. Crew and Target. At $690 for a seemingly casual shirt, most people aren't likely to run out to copy Trump's style.
these look exactly like my workout soles. because i work out as much as this chick gardens pic.twitter.com/s2mwLKRK7b- christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) July 31, 2018
Melania tending to her nightshade and hemlock garden. pic.twitter.com/1462ZJcf3G- Bubbagump (@bubbagump324) July 28, 2018
me making sure the barista sees me put money in the tip jar pic.twitter.com/Sao2B0DkfR- Alyssa Limperis (@alyssalimp) July 31, 2018
Eva Brawny paper towels. pic.twitter.com/1cLp6InNqF- OhNoSheTwitnt (@OhNoSheTwitnt) July 31, 2018
"I love the outdoors." pic.twitter.com/gZ002fdqKf- Jess Dweck (@TheDweck) July 31, 2018
When your H-1B visa application says your special skill is "r̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶ gardening" but you hate dirt. pic.twitter.com/ZEtUhZRj1Q- Mrs. Betty Bowers (@BettyBowers) July 31, 2018
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder