China has started ranking citizens with a creepy 'social credit' system - here's what you can do wrong, and the embarrassing, demeaning ways they can punish you
Apr 8, 2018, 13:40 IST
1. Banning you from flying or getting the train.
2. Throttling your internet speeds.
3. Banning you (or your kids!) from the best schools.
4. Stopping you getting the best jobs.
5. Keeping you out of the best hotels.
6. Being publicly named as a bad citizen.
A prototype blacklist already exists, and has been used to punish people.
There is also a list for good citizens — that will reportedly get you more matches on dating websites.
They can also get discounts on energy bills, rent things without deposits, and get better interest rates at banks.
Despite the creepiness of the system — Human Rights Watch called it "chilling," while Botsman called it "a futuristic vision of Big Brother out of control" — some citizens say it's making them better people already.