Modi to use EU template for Indian ‘smart cities’
The template drafted by the EU is likely to be discussed by 28-nation grouping, country’s largest trading partner, at the India-EU summit later this year in Brussels.
The EU, which is working with Maharashtra on making India’s financial hub-Mumbai-a smart city, will help Indian cities in becoming more sustainable. The EU Ambassador to India Joao Cravinho told ET that member nations would bring expertise, keeping in mind rising population.
Though the EU has been working with the Maharashtra government since 2012 on the smart city project, Cravinho said Modi’s programme gave a new boost to the concept, adding the EU could offer Mumbai’s template to other cities as well and also assist India in heritage conservation.
"Pre-planning and subsequently planning are imperative to make any city liveable and sustainable. The advantage for EU is that it can offer suggestions in a wide array of areas drawing from expertise of Eastern Europe to Central Europe to Western Europe," Cravinho told ET. The EU is scheduled to hold a mega meet on smart city concept for Mumbai this month.
The European states are also willing to share their experience in cleaning of rivers like Rhine, and extend expertise to clean the holy River Ganga and others and suggest ideas to generate revenue from waterways.
Popular on BI
- A top AI researcher reportedly left Google for OpenAI after sharing concerns the company was training Bard on ChatGPT data
- An AI researcher who has been warning about the technology for over 20 years says we should 'shut it all down,' and issue an 'indefinite and worldwide' ban
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- Amul hikes milk price by ₹2/ltr in Gujarat
- GST mop-up rises 13% to ₹1.6 lakh crore in March, second highest collection ever
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge