Modi govt to offer Rs 10,000 crores to startups; generate 18 lakh jobs
AdvertisementThe government has today announced Rs 10,000 crore 'Fund of Funds for
"The fund is expected to generate employment for 18 lakh persons on full deployment...A corpus of Rs 10,000 crore could potentially be the nucleus for catalysing Rs 60,000 crore of equity investment and twice as much debt investment," an official statement said.
The decision was taken in the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"The Cabinet has approved the establishment of 'Fund of Funds for Startups' (FFS) at Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for contribution to various Alternative Investment Funds (AIF), registered with
This is in line with the 'Startup India Action Plan' unveiled by the government in January.
The corpus will be built up over the 14th and 15th Finance Commission cycles, subject to progress of the scheme and availability of funds, it said.
"This would provide a stable and predictable source of funding for startup enterprises and thereby facilitate large scale job creation," it added.
An amount of Rs 500 crore has already been provided to the corpus of FFS in 2015-16 and Rs 600 crore earmarked in the 2016-17.
Image credit: Indiatimes
Popular on BI
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds
- Climate change could cause millions of children to be born prematurely, suffer lifelong complications
- Markets record rally makes investors richer by ₹4.29 lakh crore
- From undernutrition to obesity, Lancet study unveils India's double whammy
- GST collections in February rise 12.5% to cross ₹1.68 lakh crore