More than 300 store closures are announced in a single day, as the retail apocalypse rips through JCPenney, Gap, and Victoria's Secret
- Gap, JCPenney, and Victoria's Secret announced more than 300 store closures over the course of 24 hours this week.
- All three companies reported declining same-store sales during the critical holiday period.
- These announcements will bring the number of planned store closures this year to nearly 4,500.
Gap, JCPenney, and Victoria's Secret announced more than 300 store closures over the course of 24 hours this week, sending a clear signal that the fallout from the retail apocalypse is far from over.
Gap said Thursday that it would close 230 namesake stores in the next two years, as it reported that the brand's same-store sales fell 7% during the holiday quarter. The company also said it would spin off its Old Navy brand.
Earlier in the day, JCPenney said it would close 27 stores in 2019, including 18 full-line department stores and 9 home and furniture stores. The department store chain said same-store sales fell 4% during the fourth quarter.
Victoria's Secret's same-store sales also fell during the holidays, dropping 3% during the quarter. The company said late Wednesday that it would close 53 stores this year, citing a "decline in performance."
These announcements will bring the number of planned store closures this year to nearly 4,500.
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Best voltage stabilizers for home in India
- Asus teases the ROG Phone 6 gaming phone — confirmed to feature IPX4 splash-resistance
- Supercomputers are faster and more powerful — but need to be more energy-efficient
- Best hair removal cream for women in India
- Sensex, Nifty maintain 3-day streak, rally by nearly 1%