Mueller says he won't testify to Congress about the Russia investigation and it's a new hurdle for Democrats seeking impeachment
- Former FBI Director Robert Mueller said he would not provide Congress with any testimony extending beyond the findings relayed in the special counsel's final report.
- Mueller made the remarks in his only public statements during the entire timeline of the investigation.
- House Democrats have been pushing for a public hearing for Mueller to testify and answer questions on the investigation.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
WASHINGTON - Former FBI Director and special counsel chief Robert Mueller said he would not speak further about the findings of the Russian interference investigation other than what is in the final report made public several weeks ago.
House Democrats on multiple committees have been trying to bring Mueller in for a public testimony on the special counsel's report, but have hit a roadblock with his Wednesday morning statement, in which he indicated there is nothing else to address.
Attorney General William Barr released a partially redacted version of the special counsel's report, but Democrats have so far been displeased and demanded members be allowed to view the documents and underlying evidence in full.
The demands for the unredacted report have also led the House Judiciary Committee to subpoena Barr. When he declined, the committee voted to hold Barr in contempt of Congress, which could potentially include severe penalties such as large fines or jail time.
Mueller's insistence there is nothing more to be said, either publicly or to Congress, creates yet another obstacle for Democrats looking to dig deeper into investigations that have become a central focus of their new House majority.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- Best smartwatches under ₹3,000 in India
- Mukesh Ambani & Anil Agarwal lose ₹1.17 lakh crore in a few hours as government slaps two different oil taxes
- OnePlus Nord 2T launch is around the corner – here’s what you can expect
- OnePlus Nord 2T Review — A balanced all rounder at an affordable price
- Reliance Industries, ONGC, Vedanta and others slapped with windfall, export tax on petroleum