Netflix's 'Stranger Things' boosted Eggo waffle sales because one of the main characters is obsessed with them
- Eggo waffles sales saw an increase in 2017 because of "Stranger Things" season 2.
- Eleven, one of the main characters, is obsessed with Eggo waffles.
- The show also helped set a record of Eggo mentions on social media in October 2017, the same month season 2 premiered on Netflix.
"Stranger Things" hasn't just had a huge influence on pop culture. It's also influenced the frozen waffle industry.
According to Create World Class Marketing, the mega-hit Netflix sci-fi series boosted sales for Eggo waffles.
Sam Ro, managing editor of Yahoo Finance, tweeted a slide that showed how the series has benefitted Eggo. The slide was from a Kellog presentation at the CAGNY (Consumer Analyst Group of New York) conference.
When "Stranger Things" season 2 arrived on Netflix in October 2017, Eggo waffles saw the most social mentions in a single month ever. In Q4 2017, Eggo consumption saw a +14% year-on-year increase, according to the slide.
"Stranger Things" plays on nostalgia in a lot of ways, borrowing tropes from from movies from the 80s like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "ET." Throwing in Eggo waffles is just another reference from the decade that adds some 80s flavor.
Eggo is owned by the Kellog Company.
- Life insurance stocks fall up to 10% after Budget pushes for new tax regime
- Budget blow to HNIs claiming huge deductions for expensive houses
- Budget 2023: Govt proposes 100 critical projects for last-mile logistics at ₹75,000 crore
- New tax regime may not be necessarily beneficial for all taxpayers: Experts
- Pathaan's gross box office collections at ₹634 crore in 7 days