New York University unveiled a program where college students live with senior citizens to save money on housing
pilot program plan to save college students on housing.
Deemed the "home stay" program, students would live in the spare bedrooms of local senior citizens and would cut their roughly $14,000-per-year housing bill in half, The New York Post reported.
The plan seems to be a common-sense solution to living in the most expensive city in the world in terms of student accommodation.
Other students, such as Gallatin junior Maddie Perlmutter, believe that there is still more to be done to aid students struggling with housing costs.
"Housing is and has been an issue for NYU students, and I believe that this could possibly remedy it for some people but, I don't think that it will make a very large impact," Perlmutter, a student in NYU's Gallatin School of Individualized Study, told the Washington Square News.
"The committee must continue seeking widespread alternatives to lower costs in the residence halls, the option most used by the NYU student population," she continued to the News, the student newspaper of NYU.
In addition to students saving money, the seniors involved would also get additional money from the agreement.
Other universities around the nation, like the University of Illinois, have also rolled out similar experiments to some success.
"I lived with roommates my own age, and it wasn't a positive living experience," Christina Larson, a student at the Illinois, told The Post. "Here everyone gets along. We watch a lot of 'Star Trek' together. Everyone is really laid back. The most important job I have is grocery shopping."
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar