Nintendo just announced a less expensive, new version of the wildly popular Nintendo Switch - and it arrives in September for $200
- Nintendo plans to release a new version of its wildly popular Nintendo Switch console this September.
- The new version of the Switch is called the Nintendo Switch Lite, and it costs just $200 - but that's because it's a slightly more limited version of the current Switch.
- Instead of operating as both a handheld and a home game console, the Switch Lite is a dedicated portable console. It's also missing a few of the bells and whistles in the current Switch console's gamepads.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Nintendo plans to release a new version of its wildly popular Nintendo Switch console on September 20, and it's just $200 - a $100 price reduction from the existing Switch.
Nintendo announced the new console on Wednesday morning after months of rumors.
The new version of the Switch, which Nintendo calls the Nintendo Switch Lite, is a dedicated portable console. It can't be connected to a TV, like the current Switch, and its controllers cannot be detached.
It comes in three colors: Yellow, grey, and turquoise.
More than just a less expensive version of the Switch, the Switch Lite is intended to replace Nintendo's 3DS as the go-to portable game console from Nintendo.
It runs all existing Nintendo Switch games - as long as the game functions in "handheld mode," which the vast majority of Switch games support.
There are some more subtle differences between the Switch Lite and the standard Switch: The d-pad is a cross instead of buttons, the Joy-Con controllers are attached, and the screen is a bit smaller.
Check out the full introduction video for the Switch Lite right here:
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams