Nintendo's Switch is beating Xbox and PlayStation across the board, according to the latest sales numbers
"Fire Emblem: Three Houses"/Nintendo
- Six of the 10 best-selling games between July 7 and August 3 were exclusive to the Nintendo Switch, according to data from the NPD Group.
- Despite Nintendo's dominant month, "Madden NFL 20" was the best-selling game during that span, even though it launched on August 2.
- The Nintendo Switch continues to be the best-selling video game console of the year, after leading console sales in 2018. A smaller, cheaper version of the Switch is set to launch in September.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Nintendo Switch has dominated video game sales this year, taking advantage of a slow year from Microsoft and Sony. Both of Nintendo's primary competitors are gearing up to launch their next-generation consoles next year, opening a broad window for Nintendo to sell millions of its hybrid portable console in the meantime.The Switch is now two years old and Nintendo continues to roll out exclusive releases from its high-profile franchises. Six of the top 10 best-selling games in July were Nintendo exclusives, based on data collected by the NPD Group from July 7 to August 3.Advertisement
The Switch was also the best-selling console of the month, continuing a trend that made it the best-selling console of 2018. The Nintendo Switch pro controller also outsold the PlayStation 4 in July, though the PS4 controller remains the best-selling controller of the year so far.
Nintendo is also preparing to launch a cheaper, portable-only version of the Switch on September 20, which will likely boost the console's popularity even further during the holiday season.Read more: Nintendo just announced a less expensive, new version of the wildly popular Nintendo Switch - and it arrives in September for $200
"Fire Emblem: Three Houses" was released on July 26 and was the second best-selling game of the month, while Nintendo's "Super Mario Maker 2" earned the third spot on the list. Another Nintendo exclusive, "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order," capitalized on the popularity of Marvel's Avengers and was the fourth best-selling game after a July 19 launch.July's biggest release was "Madden NFL 20." Though the game officially launched on August 2, players who preordered the game were able to play a few days early. According to the NPD Group, "Madden" has been the best-selling game in the month it was released for 20 straight years, and is the best-selling sports franchise of all time.These are the best-selling games of July 2019:Advertisement
10. "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" (Nintendo)
9. "Mario Kart 8" (Nintendo)Advertisement
8. "Mortal Kombat 11" (Warner Bros. Interactive)
7. "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" (Nintendo)Advertisement
6. "Grand Theft Auto V" (Take 2 Interactive)
5. "Minecraft" (Microsoft)Advertisement
4. "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order" (Nintendo)
3. "Super Mario Maker 2" (Nintendo)Advertisement
2. "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" (Nintendo)
1. "Madden NFL 20" (Electronic Arts)Advertisement
- From coffee made out of poop to the one exported from a remote island in the middle of Atlantic Ocean – these are the most expensive coffee in the world
- Lal Bahadur Shastri famous quotes
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2020: Mahatma Gandhi Famous Quotes
- Reliance Retail raises another ₹1,875 crore as Silver Lake comes back with an additional investment
- India leaves borrowing calendar unchanged — sticks to its ₹12 lakh crore target for the year